meet the babe

Random thoughts great and small. Okay mostly small.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

I do read. Honest.

I just never blog about it. So I'll do this meme, which I read on arethusa's and darth's blogs, and which I think is on jane's as well but since I haven't read it there yet I'll just credit darth and arethusa. Here goes.

look at the list of books below. bold the ones you've read, underline the ones you own (darth says bold the ones you've read AND own, but I am a frequent library user so I have read many books I do not and never will own), italicize the ones you might read, strike out the ones you won't, and place (parentheses) around the ones you've never even heard of.

the da vinci code, dan brown
the catcher in the rye - j.d. salinger (I can't believe I've never read it but I'm not ruling it out)
the great gatsby - scott f. fitzgerald (ditto)
the hitchikers guide to the galaxy - douglas adams
to kill a mockingbird - harper lee
the time traveler's wife - audrey niffenegger
his dark materials - philip pullman
harry potter and the half-blood prince - j. k. rowling
the life of pi - yann martel (yes I know he's Canadian. i'm just not interested okay?
animal farm: a fairy story - george orwell
catch 22 - joseph heller (I tried once, unsuccessfully)
the curious incident of the dog at night-time - mark haddon
pride and prejudice - jane austen
1984 - george orwell
harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban - j. k. rowling
one hundred years of solitude - gabriel garcia marquez
memoirs of a geisha - arthur golden
(the kite runner) - khaled hosseini
the lovely bones - alice sebold
slaughterhouse 5 - kurt vonnegut
wuthering heights - emily bronte (another one i tried to read once and didn't quite finish, but I'll probably try again some day)
the lion, the witch and the wardrobe - c.s. lewis
middle sex - jeffrey eugenies
cloud atlas - david mitchell (also started but never finished. probably won't bother now)
jane eyre - charlotte bronte (read it after Jasper Fforde's book - see my adds)
atonement - ian mcewan
(the shadow of the wind) - carlos ruiz zafon
the old man and the sea - ernest hemingway
the handmaid's tale - margaret atwood
the bell jar - sylvia plath
dune - frank herbert
sula - toni morrison)
cold mountain - charles frazier
the alchemist - paul coelho
white teeth - zadie smith
the house of mirth - edith wharton

what titles would you add to this list?
The mists of avalon - marion zimmer bradley
The Eyre affair - Jasper Fforde (as a start - read the rest of his books too)
A short history of nearly everything - Bill Bryson (and everything else by Bryson as well)
Fifth business - Robertson Davies (and if you like that you'll probably like the rest of the trilogy and his other trilogies as well)

so many books, so little time!

4 Comments:

Blogger Arethusa said...

*punches fist in the air* Ha! I knew I wasn't the only person avoiding Pi, and I hate when people go "but he's Canadian!" as if that makes me somehow obligated to read every bit of tripe from an author simply because we happened to be born in a certain part of the continent.

How was the McEwan? I've never read his stuff before.

1:14 p.m.  
Blogger infobabe said...

Hi Areth :wave:

Well you'll notice I *have* read the Atwood (I think we're conditioned to read that though) and I recommended Davies in my adds. Growing up in Canadian writing and publishing I do have a weakness for it. But I've never been interested in that one :P

The McEwan was disappointing. I wasn't as impressed with it as I'd hoped to be, and I've never read anything else he's written.

1:24 p.m.  
Blogger darth said...

phew..i'll continue to skip mcewan. but you have to pick up shadow of the wind, wtf?


oh, and i meant to add winchester to books that should be added, whaddya think?

8:54 a.m.  
Blogger Arethusa said...

Hey info *wave & hug* Oh I've read Atwood too, just not that one, and we are conditoned for that I think. 'Tis inescapable. I will look up the Davies.

I read an article recently on Muriel Spark (since she's gone now :( ) and the author was also pretty unimpressed with "Atonement" as well. Hmmm. I may pass since I wasn't particularly interested in him.

12:09 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home