meet the babe

Random thoughts great and small. Okay mostly small.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

oh it's you darling!

This morning as I was pulling on my tall boots with the square toes and the chunky heels I was thinking about fashion and style. I am privileged to know a few people who have an impeccable fashion sense, as well as an interesting and comprehensive personal style, not the least of whom is Bella, and also my friend Nat. I do not have this innate sense, and it's something I kind of lament.

Maybe it began when I was a little kid growing up with a single hippie mum and not much money? Hmm. Well Bella and Nat had the same kind of upbringing, so that can't be it.

Maybe it was because I went to a hippie high school with a bunch of freaks who cared more about finding a reliable dope dealer and wearing clothes that would assist them in their drug trips? I think now we're getting somewhere. I did kind of identify with that group, and even though Bella went to the same high school for part of the time, she was never really a hippie chick flower child like I was. Hell I was even a Deadhead for most of my 20s.

So yeah, then I was a girl who cared more about function than fashion, who didn't have the motivation or the money to spend on clothes and makeup.

Then I was a young mum and I was lucky to find a shirt that didn't smell like baby poo.

Now that I'm in my mid-30s, and in fact ever since I hit my 30s and actually began dating again (oh yeah, the fact that I spent age 19-29 in a LTR with a single man probably dampened my need or desire to make myself pretty) I have found myself taking the time and spending the money on clothes and makeup. And haircuts. I actually have a haircut that requires maintenance, which is kind of fun sometimes but mostly is a big pain.

The problem is that I still don't think I have a personal style. Take today for example. I'm wearing Old Navy boot-cut jeans, my aforementioned boots, a black stretchy scoop-neck t-shirt and a rust-coloured cotton blazer/jacket kind of thing. What does that say about me? I'm known to wear jeans or "work" slacks, skirts with boots or low-heeled shoes, opaque nylons or knee-high socks. Cotton shirts with or without buttons. Mostly muted colours, and even though I'm a bigger girl now, I wear form-fitting clothes because I think loose clothes, which bigger girls are supposed to wear, make me look fat.

Anyway, the whole point of this is that sometimes I wish the phrase "it's you!" referred to something else, or even something specific, when I try it on. Why are the square-toed chunky-heeled boots "me"? Why not pointy-toed, pointy-heeled boots? Why cotton 3/4-sleeve shirts and not cashmere sweaters? Is it because of my colouring? My body type? My job? Today, I wish I knew.

7 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

bella does have her own personal style, for sure..i don't get the whole "its you" thing either.

11:15 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get this personal style thing. My devastatingly beautiful former room-mate whose shopping budget was ten-fold greater than mine and who has amazing fashion sense, used to say when we were going out, "Now I need to change my clothes... you look so fancy!" even though most of what I was wearing was directly off the rack from the Gap. So what gives?

5:35 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Either that or the shoes really *do* make the outfit.

1:01 a.m.  
Blogger infobabe said...

I really do think most of it is attitude. Bella you know you are a pretty girl and you like looking pretty. Me I'm like Hmm, does this fit? Can I afford it? Okay cool I'll buy it. It's funny though because now, when I really should be a little more self conscious cuz I'm kind of fat, I'm actually more willing to show off my body than when I was a skinny waif. Cuz really, who cares about personal style when you got big boobs.

12:05 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Cuz really, who cares about personal style when you got big boobs."


:notworthy:

12:07 p.m.  
Blogger infobabe said...

Well, when even WOMEN don't look me in the eye, you gots to wonder eh.

PS I totally agree about shoes. When I think about a new outfit I always start with the shoes.

12:21 p.m.  
Blogger Hammy said...

I've learned more in the last year from TLC's "What Not to Wear" than from anyone who's ever seen me in real life.

Scary huh? I mean, the best my mom ever did was "Oh, I wouldn't wear a skirt like that with your legs honey."

....back to therapy....

:)

6:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home