meet the babe

Random thoughts great and small. Okay mostly small.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

international women's day



when i was a little girl growing up - and even today - i sort of pitied boys born on this day, kind of how I pitied kids born on February 29. Maybe there are tons of boys born on March 8 who have no idea that it is International Women's Day. I grew up with a feminist mom and a bunch of activist women who never failed to remind me how lucky I was, not only to have been born a girl, but also to have been born on a day set aside specially to honour and celebrate our options and accomplishments.

I think my most memorable birthday party ever was in 1977 or 1978. There is a parade every year in Vancouver on this day (or there was -- I think there's just a rally these days). That particular year, a feminist collective had gotten together and commissioned a big load of fortune cookies from a local fortune cookie factory, with custom-made fortunes in them. I have no idea what they said or anything, but I imagine it was a feminist theme. That year I had my birthday party in the back of a pickup truck that was moving through the parade. I remember it was the best feeling ever, sitting on the roof of the truck with my best friend Eve, waving to the crowd. I think there was a banner on the truck that said "Happy Birthday K" or something like that.

Nowadays my birthday is a little more low-key, but I remain grateful for my femininity. Not just because of this auspicious day, but also because, well, it's great being a girl :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Arethusa said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRFDAY & INTERNATIONAL WIMMENZ DAY!!!!!!!

Yuo had a birthday in a PARADE? That is just too awesome. And yes I'm pretty grateful too about being a girl and living in a society that makes it a great thing (for the most part).

1:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home