meet the babe

Random thoughts great and small. Okay mostly small.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

drive me to distraction

As I was driving home from work this evening, I felt my cell phone vibrate in my pocket. I fumbled for it, and just as I was opening it to take my call, I noticed I was driving through a cloud of marijuana smoke. I didn't think much of it because this is BC and wherever you are, you probably know that BC has a reputation for a large amount of marijuana consumption.

I concluded my call having had to make no trickier a manoeuvre than stopping at a red light and observing a few crosswalks, and noticed that I was still in the marijuana cloud. The call was short, but I'd still travelled several blocks. Then I noticed smoke issuing from the driver's side window of the small sports car in front of me. A short time later that car moved off to turn left, and as soon as I was clear of him, I became clear of the bud odour.

Which got me thinking, what is more dangerous, driving a car under the influence of conversation, or under the influence of cannabis? I think while we were engaging in our respective distractions we were both driving more slowly than we needed to on the otherwise deserted roadway, which doesn't seem too dangerous...but obviously people do get in accidents under these conditions. Probably neither of us should have been doing anything but driving.

5 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

info, did you see this study? http://www.physorg.com/news2941.html

sometimes i just pull over when i get a call, probably because i tend to use my hands when talking lol

8:13 p.m.  
Blogger infobabe said...

oh yeah, I know I shouldn't talk and drive. But I do it anyway (shh don't tell). Just the other day I was nearly sideswiped by a 20ish girl in a Mercedes who was so busy gabbing she didn't even notice she was swerving outside her lane. I dunno why I think I'm better than her :P

11:25 p.m.  
Blogger Busty Wilde said...

I think I'm usually more cautious when I'm driving stoned - I don't want to get pulled over, natch.

11:34 p.m.  
Blogger Arethusa said...

I've got the head phones thingies I use inside the jeep but generally I check the number before I answer. If I don't know the number or it's not a close relative or friend I don't answer. I mean, *if* I'm going to total my vehicle because I'm blabbing on the phone it better be with someone important.

10:47 p.m.  
Blogger thephoenixnyc said...

Perhaps you could try smoking pot AND talking on phone while applying makeup. If you survive you will know you are an awesome driver!!

7:15 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home