meet the babe

Random thoughts great and small. Okay mostly small.

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

monkey love

It has been a monkey kind of week. First, last weekend my family and I went to see the latest Leaky Heaven production, which was Bonobo and was about Bonobo apes. It was rather a departure for LH, with only a fraction of the usual irreverent maniacal hilarity, but it was still entertaining and rather moving. Which is not a quality I usually look for in a circus performance, so it caught me off-guard, but it was quite lovely as all their productions are.

anyway. The other thing was J and I went to stay with my man in Seattle for a couple days, the first time in the 2 years he and I have been together that I've taken her there to hang out with us. Which is silly and complicated but there you are. We went to the zoo yesterday and the thing that really caught me the most was when we were looking at the Orangutans.

We got to the Orangutan enclosure and they weren't around in the first window we looked in. At the next window there was a whole crowd of people, and there was a woman drawing an Orangutan who was sitting on the other side of the glass, his chin balanced on his hand which was resting on a rock ledge. He was sitting very still, letting the woman sketch him. I asked her if he always did that and she said he did. She said she sketched him often, and every time she came he would come up and sit down and pose for her, sometimes sitting for hours. He knew who she was and what she was doing. I forgot to ask whether she showed him her drawings, but the whole thing struck me as quite magical. I nearly took her picture, but by the time I thought of doing it we were already walking away.

I forget if it was before that or after, but we saw these other monkeys, maybe they are chimps, and the window to the enclosure came right down to the floor and one of the chimps was sitting right by the glass. And I took a picture of J and the chimp, and you can't really tell there's glass there so it looks like they're sitting together, having an animated exchange or conversation of some sort, which would totally be in character for J, who undoubtedly would have a wonderful and interesting conversation with a chimpanzee. And so I have a new appreciation for our primate brethren.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home