meet the babe

Random thoughts great and small. Okay mostly small.

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

"you think of everything, mom!"

My daughter was on the toilet this morning and observed, "the toilet paper is almost empty!" I indicated the new roll on the back of the toilet, ready to be loaded when the old one runs out. She looked around and said, "you think of everything mom!" and I kind of chuckled and demurred, saying "no, not really," thinking of all the things I've blown in my life. "I do the things I can do though," I said, which (I allowed myself this tiny pat on the back) is true.

And that got me thinking of all the things I manage. I guess I manage a lot of things, mostly around my household and family. I doubt I'd be able to handle the comings and goings of more members than just me and my daughter, but I think I do all right for the two of us. Sometimes my active mind drives me crazy, always thinking, thinking, thinking, whether I like it or not. I can't brush my teeth without looking around and noticing that the toothpaste is almost empty, the sink needs to be scrubbed, and I could attach a hook to the wall to hang my hair dryer on so it doesn't clutter up the basin counter. Not to mention the toilet paper roll is almost empty. I can't sit down and turn on the tv without thinking of all the things I could - and should - be doing with that space of time instead of watching The Apprentice.

And I can't think of doing things for myself without thinking of what I'll be depriving my daughter of by doing it. I mentioned in my last entry that I'm considering a yoga class. And I'm considering some more formal fitness regime to try and get rid of these extra inches that have been plaguing me. There are several factors that stop me from getting on this new regime. The first, as I mentioned in the last entry, is my "fuddy-duddy" thanks, Bella inclination to be worried and anxious about trying new things. This is all in my head but my biggest challenge to surmount. The second is time, since as a single parent I can't just cut out and go for a jog or head to the gym anytime I want. This is becoming alleviated more and more each year, since the kid is starting to get her own interests and I don't need to be hanging over her shoulder every minute. The third is money. Since the Ex from Hell has been less than useless this summer and will be for some time to come, the finances are extremely tight, to the point where I have to choose between things to buy and do for J, and things to buy and do for K. Can't have both. And as a mother, maybe as a mother who "thinks of everything," I want everything for her. I feel like I can do without.

Is that an excuse? A justification? A way to shrink away from my anxiety about marching myself into a gym or a yoga class, to put it off a little longer? The Bella on my shoulder says fuckin A, that's exactly what's going on there. If I really wanted both, I'd find a way to do both. Right? But there's something else, the pragmatic, or possibly fearful, or possibly proud (probably all three) mothervoice, telling me that No, what I want is for my daughter to have everything. Absolutely everything she could want or need, and if it means I don't get to take a few inches off for a few more years, then that's the way it should be.

Maybe "thinking of everything" isn't such a good thing all the time.

8 Comments:

Blogger darth said...

we think about that often...thinking of everything for darth,jr., that is. without spoiling him too much. but our schedules still definitely revolve around him.

4:26 p.m.  
Blogger Arethusa said...

I don't think it's an excuse...you're just trying to be a great. I guess it just pays to keep in mind that maybe part of being a great mom is remembering to spend some time and energy on you too. :-)

I'm just a 20 year ol' kid though. :P

3:41 p.m.  
Blogger InkedDaisyGirl said...

i really believe this is something that every parent goes through. i would gladly go without as long as my children had everything. i remember when our first was born and we were soooo poor ... we ate ramen, sandwiches and apples for months because we never wanted him to go w/o anything.

you are a fantastic mom ... and luckily that is more than enough.

10:59 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, people who don't have kids sure have a hard time making suggestions to people who do. Because of course, we *know* we don't "get it." But I still have to say that imho, one of the most important lessons you can teach your daughter is the value of taking care of oneself. You know those airplane safety cards? They say you should put your own oxygen mask on first and *then* assist others around you who need your help. I'm not saying this is a perfect model for life, but I do think its something to consider. I don't see how taking a yoga class that is as convenient as you described is going to result in some kind of institutionalized neglect of your daughter.

Then again, what do I know.

11:04 a.m.  
Blogger darth said...

its funny..whenever i see that graphic in the plane, or on the video they show before takeoff..one thought goes thru my mind...YEAH, LIKE THATS GONNA HAPPEN.

i just know i will be frantically jamming that sucker over darth jr. i just know it.

1:46 p.m.  
Blogger InkedDaisyGirl said...

Yeah me too Darth ... sorry, but i know that i can multi-task ... and my first priority is kidlets ... cuz i'm thinking ... if they won't die if i put mine on first, then i would think that i won't die if i do theirs ... who knows

4:49 p.m.  
Blogger infobabe said...

Good comments all, both parents and non-parents!

I don't think my issue with it is really whether, in doing something for myself, I'll be plunging my daughter into neglect. It's more like, I know that I have $60 to spend on something, and she wants something and I want something, I will always want her to have her thing before I get mine.

This does not mean that I won't or don't take care of myself. It's just that, no matter how little I spend on myself, be it time or money or something else, it always feels like too much.

Perhaps the fact that I always, without even stopping to consider, put my daughter's needs and wants before my own makes me "fantastic," but it really doesn't feel that way. Mostly, it feels "adequate." Sadly, there are many parents out there who don't even do that much for their kids.

Besides, I think I'd rather go swimming than do yoga anyway :)

11:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UPDATE YOUR BLOG!

10:51 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home